This week’s been a bit all over the shop. Parts of it have seemed to drag as if someone was holding back the second hand, while paradoxically, certain bits have zipped by in the blink of the proverbial.
Blogging-wise I like to have something in mind by Thursday at the latest. I know that Friday’s are generally pretty busy and while some nights I can fly by the seat of my pants, I find with the passing entries, that I like to put a bit of thought into them. Anyone who says otherwise gets a Paddington Bear Hard Stare 🙂 Crikey, the nostalgia’s flying thick and fast this time around eh? A bit of Roland Rat and now Paddington Bear. Holy yesteryear of talking mammals, Batman 🙂
So, stuck of something to write about – well, that’s not true. I was thinking about the shower of sh** that’s on at the multiplex: the CGIfest that is the summer-time movie. I’m sure there must be some good flicks out, but for the life of me, I’ve not seen one that appeals to me yet. Maybe my old rule of thumb of ‘only go to the cinema between September and May’ seems about right. But no, my heart wasn’t in that.
In search of a moment of inner-calm, I do what I do when I get tense… no, not dressing up… I bake. No, really. I bake cookies or cupcakes. I find the whole she-bang very relaxing. It’s good to concentrate on an activity and have something to show for it at the end. Double plus good if it’s edible. 🙂
Now, one could argue that I like cooking because I’m chasing my feminine skills, which personally, I think is complete tosh. I just happen to like baking. Hell, I like making things anyway: paper models with the kids, Lego with Wee Man and what have you. Baking, I think, is just an extension of that.
While I can throw a few raw ingredients in a bowl, I won’t profess to being a good cook. I think there’s a big difference between a batch of biscuits and a Sunday roast. Honestly, I don’t know how Mrs Jones manages it. There just seems to be too much on the go for a big dinner! Simple stuff – say no more than 4 or 5 ingredients I can cope with, but a few more than that and it’s all too much for my simple brain 🙂 Still, meat, 2 veg + sauce and that’s 90% of British cuisine covered. The other 10% has something to do with custard and/or cakes. 🙂
I could never understand the mentality of some of my old mates who didn’t know how to boil an egg or make anything more complicated than beans on toast. Not to say that beans on toast aren’t a rather nice dish, I just wouldn’t want them for every bloomin’ meal. I’d probably burn a hole in the Ozone layer after the second day 🙁
Where am I going with all of this? Actually, now I’ve come this far, I really don’t have a clue. 🙂 I suppose if there is a point to this, it’s the strange reasoning that cooking (or baking by extension) is essentially woman’s work. I don’t agree. Cooking is about being able to feed yourself and others. While I fancy the idea of being able to fix my own car, there’s another part of my that’s far happier producing scrummy cakes for an afternoon tea. Plus, car work, you get so dirty…. and it wrecks your nails 😛
Lastly – and in an effort to stop this being solely one sided – baking, yay or nay? If yay, any favourite dishes you’d care to share? If nay, why not?
[ Today’s lyric: Sh*tlist by L7 ]